Microsoft Power BI is a very popular product that we see a lot of customers using for their office dashboards. The VuePilot Power BI app makes displaying your Power BI dashboards and reports on TV screens in your business incredibly simple, with just a few clicks.
Occasionally we do come across problems where the Power BI dashboards or reports stop displaying properly. This may mean a previously working report or dashboard is now no longer displaying properly. This could be for a number of reasons but its also fairly common that we see something change from Microsoft such as the URL structure of the report or dashboard that needs to be reflected within the app configuration.
Before opening a support ticket, please ensure you have tried the following solutions as this will be the first thing a support engineer will check.
1. Clear Your Local Player Cache
From the VuePilot player software (the one connected to your screens) click into the “Settings” panel and then down the bottom click the “Clear” button next to “Clear Cached Assets“.
Restart the software and then try again
2. Delete And Recreate The App
Apps and configuration data are heavily cached, but may also change over time. You may have created an app with a particular URL 6 months ago, however that URL may have slightly changed now resulting in an error.
Delete your app and recreate it using the appropriate documentation.
- Do not simply update the URL in the app as this may take several minutes and multple rotations in order to flow down to your players.
- Do not copy the URL from your problematic app into the new one as the URL may be the problem.
- You must delete the app entirely (clicking the red delete button on the app edit page) and re-create it, not just remove it from your rotation
Please ensure you follow the correct documentation for either Power BI DASHBOARDS or Power BI REPORTS as they are different and have different setup steps. See below
Creating A VuePilot Power BI REPORT App
Creating A VuePilot Power BI DASHBOARD App
3. Try Signing In / Signout Out From A Non Dashboard or Report Page
You may be getting stuck in an authentication redirect loop when trying to load the report or dashboard or seeing “spinners” due to invalid credentials.
Try entering a direct URL to something like the Power BI home page (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-au/) into your rotation list within the player software connected to your screen and then using the “preview” function to pop up a window and manually login.